We welcome new members from all outdoor backgrounds
About Us

GROUP ACCOMMODATION

Yorkshire Dales

Up to 32 bunks available

Read More

TRY CAVING

Regular Try Caving Events

Try for the first time or making a return?

Read More

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the area for all the YSS trip reports only please
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swildons - Friday 4th October 07 Oct 2019 16:22 #19546

• jfinch
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
After a very wet week up on Mendip and torrential rain on Friday afternoon Bean and I decided to have a trip down to sump 1.:evil: Going down was entertaining to say the least, we arrived at sump 1 rather damp but very clean. Bean described the water level as very high/in flood.
Going back was harder than i thought it was going to be, some of the climbs were very tricky due to the volume of water hitting you. Nailor knee pads were a bad idea, acting like sails on a boat, forcing my legs back down the climbs, almost lost a welly too. Hand of god (bean) got me over the edge of one of the climbs, then pushed me over another where I was being forced back down. Eventually we made it out - by my fingernails I think. First beer in the Hunters didnt touch the side, or the second come to think of it. Was great to see it in conditions like that, but I will vote for a little less water next time.
Muscles in my legs were severely strained lifting them against the force of the water on the climbs - its Monday afternoon and I can hardly get up and down the stairs.:laugh:

Trip time - 1.5 hours ish Bean and Finchmeister
The following user(s) said Thank You: iball

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Swildons - Friday 4th October 07 Oct 2019 18:40 #19549

• dweare
  • Forum God
  • Forum God
  • Thank you received: 355
Swildon's is indeed superb in flood provided (of course) water levels are falling and you really know the cave well. Well done on getting it right and having a very memorable trip , Mr. Finch. Casual readers of this report, beware though, as it's also potentially lethal.

Swildons - Friday 4th October 07 Oct 2019 18:48 #19550

• jfinch
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
100% agree with you Damian.
You need a guide who knows it like the back of their hand in conditions like that. Beans that man as you know.

• Page: