We welcome new members from all outdoor backgrounds
About Us

GROUP ACCOMMODATION

Yorkshire Dales

Up to 32 bunks available

Read More

TRY CAVING

Regular Try Caving Events

Try for the first time or making a return?

Read More

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the area for all the YSS trip reports only please
  • Page:

TOPIC: Daimler Hole 29/10/2019

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 29 Oct 2019 18:21 #19608

• ivincent
  • Topic Author
  • Grumps
  • Grumps
  • Thank you received: 5
Daimler hole 29/10/2019
Ian Ball & Ian Vincent.

After much procrastination in the morning It was decided to head up to a cave none of us have done before.
Daimler hole, in the Bruntscar area is infamous for having a Daimler car in the entrance. And It had the benefit of being flat (ish) so with both of us being a bit out of shape, Idea for our first outing since May.

Taking Mr Balls tank (Volvo estate) up the narrow road was interesting to say the least, although he drives slower than a granny in a 10mph zone, it gives the sheep a chance to shift out of the way.

We parked up in a lay-by at the farm to ask permission, and they told us to drive up to the farmhouse up the road and park there as no one was staying there at the moment, this was a welcome development as it saved a fair trek, as there was nowhere really convenient to park, without annoying someone. Something tells me though that driving up the road in winter could be interesting.

So Using Mr Balls trusty GPS, which stated that we were nearer Great Douk than Daimler, we set off and walked through muddy field and gates that didn’t want to open. We stood around for 5 mins looking for the hole as his GPS stated we had passed it and we couldn’t find it, however it was straight in front of him, we just missed it.

The Hole itself was not that inviting, it was overgrown and some gardening had to be done to enter and “guarded” by “Huge” “Scary” Spiders. We climbed down Mr ball leading, the way towards franks delight attempting to stay clear of the water.

At the duck he didn’t fancy it so struggled around the oxbow thinking the water was a bit deep. I investigated the water and decided to go for it, not too deep, or cold thankfully. Then some nicely decorated passage, and the odd sheep’s head, lead to the end of Franks passage. At which point a sharp left tun led us to start looking for the climb up, it was a bit tight for me but Mr Ball squeezed through, there was no way I was managing this so Mr Ball followed the passage the wrong way and popped out 20 meters back where we had just come from, thankfully that climb was a bit easier for me. We then crawled through the roof passage to the top of the climb that I had failed to navigate earlier, then onto the traverse that started just after and after waiting for Mr Ball to find his way through the squeeze I got vertigo (woosed out), and it was decided to tun back.

Mr ball continued with his fear of water, I just motored through the wet stuff, leading the way back to the “lovely” spiders at the exit.

As I popped out the climb, relived not to have become the next spider man due to a spider bite, I looked out as saw the sun setting down the valley. It was quite beautiful, Whernside and Ingleborough looking resplendent in an autumnal sunset, even Mr Ball commented on How nice it was.

Once back to the car both knackered, and forgetting how “delightful” it was getting changed in a cold wind in the open, it was decided to have coffee and cake in Inglesport café. This lead to the most important debate. Daim bar cake or Toblerone cake. Obviously we had to try a slice of each, just to make sure I went for the Toblerone, Mr B went for the Diam bar.

Ian Vincent
The following user(s) said Thank You: dweare, dramsden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 30 Oct 2019 14:03 #19609

• iball
  • Forum God
  • Forum God
  • Thank you received: 278
Great Sunday or Friday evening trip. There are other caves around there which might make more of a days caving if you fancy. There are a fair few bones and plastic feed/farm something bags around which we didn't consider bringing out for some reason, laziness probably.

We didn't get too far but after not cavig0ng for months or years even, oof I ache today!

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 02 Nov 2019 12:30 #19614

• dramsden
  • Grumps
  • Grumps
  • Thank you received: 4
Daimler Hole
Lovely short trip, much underated! Thanks for reminding me, Ian.
Dave Ramsden
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivincent, iball

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 02 Nov 2019 12:46 #19615

• iball
  • Forum God
  • Forum God
The survey I have says it's 200m long but NC2 says 800m. Must be a fair bit underwater. I was hoping for a trip similar to Great Douk but that's hard to replicate.

Any suggestions for a no pitch no traverse few hours underground trip near the school house much appreciated.

Top of Sunset, Hardrawkin, High Douk Holes and Great Douk make an afternoon of it.

Daimler, Homeshaw, Gunnerfleet, Thistle, Runscar and Scar Top? Fair walk between them.

Jingling and Rowten Caves, then Valley Entrance was our second day plan.

Wretched Rabbit is a thought, but that's permit only and a trek. Not sure what the climbs are like.

One day, Ingleborough perhaps. White Scar maybe?

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 11 Nov 2019 10:53 #19627

• atate
  • Grumps
  • Grumps
  • Thank you received: 17
Ian, Wretched Rabbit is fine as an exit or way in if you are good at free climbing slippy rock, but watch the weather, it can get quite interesting when damp!!!! Was done many times " back in the day" but do get to know all the less obvious ways to get to Stop Pot. It will tax your 3 dimensional skills! T8.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iball

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 11 Nov 2019 10:56 #19628

• iball
  • Forum God
  • Forum God
hmm, not sure I would say we are good at free climbing, can you rope or ladder them?
Good thing you said that, I thought it was a wet weather trip!

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 11 Nov 2019 11:27 #19629

• atate
  • Grumps
  • Grumps
  • Thank you received: 17
Of course you can put a ladder or rope on the climbs, if that's safer for any trip. Believe me when I say "There's no such thing as a wet weather trip" As we all know time moves on, with climatic conditions! A quid for the many times I've heard "It shouldn't be this wet! A classic for this is Sleets Gill
The following user(s) said Thank You: iball

Daimler Hole 29/10/2019 01 Dec 2019 20:33 #19657

• stuartw
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Almost a shame that the Daimler has been removed in recent years. Did this trip years ago with Paul Thomas and then you had to climb through the chassis hanging onto the rear leaf spring to access the cave entrance.

• Page: