Remember me
This is the area for all the YSS trip reports only please

Topic

Rowter Hole - Peak District - 2/4/2021 07 Apr 2021 11:22 #20303

• stuartw's Avatar Topic Author
  • stuartw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A couple of YSS members joined up with a two other regular caving pals from other clubs to forge caver relations and re-visit a classic mine/cave in the peak district, unfinished business for them inspired a return trip to tick this one off. The newish (2015) extensions by the Buttered Badger caving club have made this from a 60m shaft with a chamber at the bottom into a fine caving expedition and not one to be undertaken lightly, it doesn't let up at all.
After dropping the entrance shaft, which I was all fingers and thumbs rigging - but it worked well on just the nicely placed P hangers, we proceeded down the Scaffolded and boarded Gin Shaft. This is where the Badgers did a lot of Buttering, then a series of smaller pre rigged pitches, one with a damaged rope which required a bit of improvisation from Lisa who was leading the way then and we had left the spare rope further back!
Through the dubious looking, scaffolded Bad Badger Choke and up the awkward Ice Cream Trail, through the Wizards Sleeve to the Chrystal Orechasm and its most interesting of rigging  - an abseil down into the massive loop of rope with a change over to ascend the other side, on upward avoiding disturbing the netting holding back shattered rock shards and up again to a nice little rift full of formations. 
Then it was just a return trip to the surface where every little climb seems to take its toll on energy levels and add even more bruises.
I found it a tough trip when last there during the Autumn of 2019 with Rich Rae, Lisa and Sue and it was harder still after a period away from caving.
Total trip time around 6 hours.
Lisa, Mark, Paul and Stu W.
(The following day was a rest day, for me anyway).
Further reading;
tomtrips.co.uk/2018/07/30/rowter-hole-extensions/

The following user(s) said Thank You: nsteel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by stuartw.

Rowter Hole - Peak District - 2/4/2021 07 Apr 2021 17:29 #20308

• iball
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sounds a top trip, not keen on the rock shard netting and the like, sounds a place for the less clumsy caver.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:

About

There are many club organised caving weekends, with a mixture of easy and difficult caving.  Over the past few years we have given lots of people the opportunity to experience caving with our "Try Caving" events.  These are quite popular and quite a few people have subsequently joined the club. We have YSS members caving most weekends so it is easy for new cavers to tag onto the easier caving trips and find people to help with more training.

Old School House
Austwick Road
Helwith Bridge
North Yorkshire
BD24 0EH

Sorry, this website uses features that your browser doesn’t support. Upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge and you’ll be all set.

Color: "#89a2ae";