We welcome new members from all outdoor backgrounds
About Us

GROUP ACCOMMODATION

Yorkshire Dales

Up to 32 bunks available

Read More

TRY CAVING

Regular Try Caving Events

Try for the first time or making a return?

Read More

× This is the area for all the YSS trip reports only please

Rowter Hole - Peak District - 2/4/2021

• stuartw
  • stuartw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Apr 2021 11:22 - 07 Apr 2021 15:59 #20303 by stuartw
A couple of YSS members joined up with a two other regular caving pals from other clubs to forge caver relations and re-visit a classic mine/cave in the peak district, unfinished business for them inspired a return trip to tick this one off. The newish (2015) extensions by the Buttered Badger caving club have made this from a 60m shaft with a chamber at the bottom into a fine caving expedition and not one to be undertaken lightly, it doesn't let up at all.
After dropping the entrance shaft, which I was all fingers and thumbs rigging - but it worked well on just the nicely placed P hangers, we proceeded down the Scaffolded and boarded Gin Shaft. This is where the Badgers did a lot of Buttering, then a series of smaller pre rigged pitches, one with a damaged rope which required a bit of improvisation from Lisa who was leading the way then and we had left the spare rope further back!
Through the dubious looking, scaffolded Bad Badger Choke and up the awkward Ice Cream Trail, through the Wizards Sleeve to the Chrystal Orechasm and its most interesting of rigging  - an abseil down into the massive loop of rope with a change over to ascend the other side, on upward avoiding disturbing the netting holding back shattered rock shards and up again to a nice little rift full of formations. 
Then it was just a return trip to the surface where every little climb seems to take its toll on energy levels and add even more bruises.
I found it a tough trip when last there during the Autumn of 2019 with Rich Rae, Lisa and Sue and it was harder still after a period away from caving.
Total trip time around 6 hours.
Lisa, Mark, Paul and Stu W.
(The following day was a rest day, for me anyway).
Further reading;
tomtrips.co.uk/2018/07/30/rowter-hole-extensions/

Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 15:59 by stuartw.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2021 17:29 #20308 by iball
Replied by iball on topic Rowter Hole - Peak District - 2/4/2021
Sounds a top trip, not keen on the rock shard netting and the like, sounds a place for the less clumsy caver.

Please Log in to join the conversation.